T E R R I T O R Y O F C L E A R N E S S
MindDecider is lucky to find its own niche among similar decision making tools. The competitors are either too simple to face complex life issues or too math-packed and time-consuming to be intuitive. We hope that MindDecider will make your everyday and business life much easier!
S.Roodchenko, software designer and project director
|Products||MindDecider||MindDecider Team||Resources||Downloads||Support||Contact us|
Decision making software
By Alex Rostozky, Nick Kumarr and Michael Shumovich
The article reviews modern decision-making tools and proposes the most effective criteria to choose the right package. It also covers a brief comparison of top 5 decision-making tools – Expert Choice, Decision Manager, MindDecider Pro, TreeAge Pro and DPL Syncopation.
Decision-making software: tools and tips
Nowadays more and more mind-mapping and decision making tools find their way to our life. A common mind just fails to process vast amount of variants, objectives and parameters that accompany our daily choices. Of course, there are Excel-like tables known to almost every user in the world but sometimes they provide insufficient tools to draw a clear picture of a decision model and help to make a right choice. That’s where the special software comes in. So how to choose the most effective decision making tool to tackle all these business and common life uncertainties?
1. Scope of application. Modern decision making tools provide a user with:
- mind mapping and decision tree drawing tools;
- complex algorithm to make a choice on the base of user’s estimates;
- project management tools (in part);
- analytic reports and tools.
2. Set of parameters to compare between different decision-making tools. In our review we will not dive deep into programming algorithms. We’ll just select the most popular and illustrative criteria dividing them into general and program-related ones.
3. Decision-making software market. Presently the market for decision-making tools is rather saturated. Top 5 most interesting representatives can be identified: Expert Choice, MindDecider, Decision Manager, DPL Syncopation, TreeAge Pro. We have made a brief review of these programs. Some criteria were estimated by a group of independent experts and common users. Best results were marked by green. All the accumulated statistics was presented in a table form:
Table 1. Comparing 5 most effective decision-making tools.
4. Conclusion. Currently we cannot find any versatile decision-making tool to satisfy the variety of business and home users’ needs. Some companies may demand more math packs and additional business suites for a complex modeling and specific planning tasks. Some are interested in presentation tools to facilitate or enhance their regular reports. The higher demand, however, is noted for software’s usability and customization. Users do not want to or have enough time to bury into complicated analysis of program’s functions. They are usually happy to find the most necessary options and are ready to use them in future only if it’s comfortable and understandable for them. From that point of view we would note 3 tools with the highest performance – Expert Choice, Decision Manager and MindDecider Pro.
Besides abovementioned packages the market features at least 20 less popular but still strong products with similar functionality. This makes the decision-making software market quite competitive and developers should be more flexible and apt to continuously improve the functionality and what’s more important – usability of their products.
P.S. The article is not intended to cover all aspects of decision-making software market. Authors’ opinions may not coincide with opinion of a reader.
“Decision Analysis: Find a Tool that Fits” by Dan Maxwell, OR/MS Today, 2008, Vol. 35. No 5.
Expert Choice: http://www.expertchoice.com
Decision Manager: http://www.deciware.com
DPL Syncopation: http://www.syncopation.com
TreeAge Pro: http://www.treeage.com
Bookmark this article at:Del.icio.us Digg it StumbleUpon Reddit
|FAQ||RSS News||E-mail: email@example.com||Contact information|